Tips on how to eat well on a budget
More and more people are trying to budget and still eat well during these testing times.
As a plant-based cookery school we’ve good news! You really can eat well on a budget!
Heres our top tips:
- Eat seasonal food – they will be cheaper and inabundance!
- Use frozen fruit & vegetables – reduces waste as you’ll only use exactly what you need.
- Grow your own – If you have some space in your garden or even your shelf, try your hand at growing some fruit and or vegetables (I’ve found totatoes, rhubarb & strawberries the easiest!). Also see if your local council have an allotment free or see if you can find anyone that will let you share theirs. Whilst they are not free, they are really reasonable, also get you into a community and you could swap vegetables with each other!
- Plan your meals – I know this can seem boring but it really is worth the extra effort. This reduces the excuse for buying fastfood or takeaway, especially when you are tired or not sure what you want for dinner (we’ve all be there!).
- Bulk cook – double up your cooking so that you are making the most of seasonal vegetables. Freeze in single portions the extra food you cooked so that when you get caught short you’ve got a tasty nutritious meal as a back up!
- Fill up or cheap but health foods such as oats, lentils, pulses and rice.
- You can download an App called ‘Too Good to Go‘ it notifies you if anywhere near you has any (heavily discounted bags of food) available, simply click to reserve. You do need to collect them in a certain window of time.
- In every city and town you can go to a Gurdwara for a fresh vegetarian meal regardless of your faith, everyone is welcome in the langar halls, (simply make sure you are not under the influence of drungs or alcohol) prior to entering the Gurdwara.
- If you are not a confident cook or really have no clue how or what to cook, why not join us on our course here. I really will pay for itself many times over!
- Don’t know where to start? Download our FREE 4 meatfree mondays recipes here to get you started.
Hope you found the above useful!
Travelling to India as a Vegan
We all love to travel & whist being vegan at home can be a challenge, when travelig it can be that little bit more, but with some planning you can make it an amazing experience! Recently I was lucky enough to go to India with my mum , where a lot of her family still…
Tips on how to eat well on a budget
More and more people are trying to budget and still eat well during these testing times. As a plant-based cookery school we’ve good news! You really can eat well on a budget! Heres our top tips: Eat seasonal food – they will be cheaper and inabundance! Use frozen fruit & vegetables – reduces waste as…
What are Microgreens?
Recently there’s been lots of conversations about ‘superfoods’. What are they and should we be eating them? Today we turn our attention to Microgreens. We recently had an amazing coversation with Peter from https://www.lightfootsfarm.com/, Peter is a development agriculturalist, he began to develop a vertical farm to grow Microgreens. These little plants pack a punch of …
To Juice or not to Juice?
Health & well-being can come in many guises. Some people swear by juicing, some vehemently disagree with it, whether you are a fan or not, we thought we’d give it a go! We both decided to go big! We flew to beautful Portugal to none other than Juicy Oasis! This is the vision of Jason…
April Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables
Finally we are seeing glimps of warmer days! Beautiful daffodils and Tulips springing up everywhere! If you’ve an allotment or grow vegetables in your garden you’ll notice your rhubarb is looking mighty fine! If you grow lots and don’t know what to do with it, fear not we have the solution! Rhubarb compote – amazing…
Roasted Rhubarb and Baked Rice Pudding
Oh rhubarb, welcome back 😍 the gift that keeps on giving. How about we team you up with some rice pudding? Baked Rhubarb Compote This recipe is great as it maintains the natural sharpness of the rhubarb and isn’t too sweet so you can partner it with your choice of accompaniment. Baking the compote rather…
10 Helpful Ways To Stay Vegan When Travelling
Thankfully long gone are the days when the only option in many establishments on the menu was a very sad looking tomato salad (or chips!) when you go for a meal in England. No longer are you looked at as an alien when you ask about vegan options (thanks to Veganuary!) & nearly everyone has…
Why Vegan? Health, Wealth and Kindness
We often get asked ‘why vegan’ or ‘what are the benefits to becoming vegan’ and everyone comes to it from a different place but here are some great reasons for your mind, body and soul. Reduce your Carbon Footprint Did you know that if everyone in the UK swapped just one red meat-based meal to…
Start Veganuary with us!
We can’t wait for you to join us this Veganuary for The Ultimate Vegan Cookery Course! We have over 2 hours of video tutorials, step by step recipes, shopping lists and menu planners to make it as easy as possible for you. Join us through the courses page and begin your plant based journey with…
I could never live without….. Easy Vegan swaps
Veganism isn’t about perfection, it is about making a decision to try and live more kindly. Most vegans you will talk to will tell you there is a point in their lives that they have fancied something that isn’t vegan. The sheer amount of products that are now available mean that for most things you…